09 March 2006

I hate you Dell, I really really hate you


I have pissed and moaned about my work laptop here before. A few months ago I had a problem with it simply not powering-up. It was the motherboard. The machine was still bitchy and quirky, and when my boss quit and I was ready to leave for France, IT guy at work refurbished his, the same exact machine, bought at the same time, and sent me on my merry way. I wanted a new machine - this one is almost 3 years old - but that's not the point.

Well, now my second Latitude D840 (D410? 810? I dunno.) is doing the same exact thing. And I have to work with our Houston office to fuck with it. This should not be happening to a machine that is only 3 years old. Our VPN-based backup system is being bitchy as well, so I fortunately have a USB mini-hard drive that I have backed up to, only losing three days of work. Of course, I cannot get to my contacts database or calendar. I hate this fucking computer. It weighs about 400 lbs and gets really really slow. The hard drive is slow (I know, I know, laptop hard drives don't spin at the same rate). It's cumbersome and cranky. I need a small, thin little guy for regular stuff, and then can use this one for technical - it's quite powerful actually, just bitchy.

I. HATE. IT.

I have a customer that put his laptop into the X-Ray at Frankfurt am Main airport and it never came out. What can't that happen to me?

Time to throw it into the Siene. Oops.