12 March 2006

if I had my choice...

Those of you who know me know that I am a gear-head of sorts. I love cars, and essentially have all cars sold in the US and in much of Europe from the 1950s forward committed to memory (thus the lack of space in my head for much else). I am especially interested in off-beat cars. If I were going to be here in France long enough that I had to buy a car on my own, I already know what I would get: either an older Citroën or a new Citroën or Renault. Citroën is now owned by Peugeot.

Older Citroëns:


1967 2CV in pretty rough shape


1970 DS Pallas

1973 DS

Although the 2CV series is probably the most recognized model (built from 1948 - 1990 in essentially the same form), the DS series from the 1950s/1960s/1970s is really the archetype and where it's at. I love these things, and if I could find a mechanic in Houston that could work on one of these weirdos I would consider trading my Triumph for one. It's just great, complete with a fairly reliable implementation of the famous Citroën hydropneumatic suspension, and forward-engineering that we take for granted in the cars of today, but showed up in other manufacturers only in the 1980s and 1990s.

Circa 1967 the SM appeared. Big ole' boat of a car, super luxus, designed by Maserati, which Citroën had bought. I love it! Want one!


1972 SM

From the 1970s - 1990s Citroën built the CX series, I would not mind one of these either. Slick. I really like these, but would rather have a DS.


1979 CX 2500 Pallas

New Citroëns are not nearly as forward-looking or avante-garde in the styling department as they used to be since, Peugeot is such a conservative company. If they build the CX now, with some smoothing and updates it would still sell well, in my opinion. I think that is what they are going for with the C5 and C6, but it's just not quite there yet.


I like the new Citroën C6. Sweet!

Of course, I would probably rather have my truck... except for that whole parking thing... and price of gas thing...