03 June 2007

Bloggin' from the plane...

Or, bloggin' on the brick... Same thing tho'...

So I have this new phone, that SHG has mentioned in couple of his blog posts. It's not really a phone, it's called a "smartphone", which is really just a fancy name for a phone that does a few more things, like usable email, etc. It is, however, a brick. SHG's new phone is a smartphone, and very slick and sexy in a Darth Vader kind of way, just like him (well, he is not sexy in a Darth Vader way).

Note: Darth Vader is sexy until you take that mask off. But aren't so many of us? The question is what is the mask? Have mask, will travel.

OK, enough of that, back to the brick. It's a brick because it actually has a fully usable keyboard that I can type on quickly with fat fingers. It has bluetooth, 3G, and WiFi. You can actually check out the local radar on the weather channel website, or see what gate a flight is leaving from, or if it is late. It runs on Windows Mobile and has usable versions of word, excel, etc. In other words, it is handheld computer. I really like it a lot. I am attached to it all day long when I am not at home or in my office at work; on the weekends I pretty much leave it alone. It's really for keeping up, not keeping attached. I can see how people with Blackberries get addicted to them, and I can see how having all that internet, text messaging, sms, and email at your fingertips at all times can lead to some interesting digital hook ups and such....

Anyway, I am happy with the brick so far. I have taken one trip with it so far, to Denver for two days. I was in our company office, so I was not all that unattached. Now I am on my way to Norway, so this big trip will be a test for the brick. I am listening to my music on it, which is cool too. You can watch videos, and I have a one of SHG witting at the kitchen table. I have a recording of one of my dogs squeaking his toy.

I have a large keyboard that you can use with the brick, and I am writing this blog post with it now! Then I will either email it in from Amsterdam or check it in on blogger from there. Whee! Blogging on the run! Of course, I am sure that about 8257453 other people blog with their addictive little devices.

Although my device it not little.