16 June 2007

working my nerves 2.0

The new book by Andrew Keen, The Cult of the Amateur: How Today's Internet is Killing Our Culture , sounds pretty interesting. I will definitely have a read; the interview with him on NPR this morning was good. I do not disagree with a lot of what he had to say. On the other hand, a lot of it sounds like he's read In Defense of Elitism and applied it to the Internet, and somewhat blustery as well.
 
But, I already have a nit, which not really a nit, working my nerves: It would seem that Keen uses examples such as Amazon.com killing off small booksellers as one manifestation of the evil of the Internet, and the blogosphere as a problem because real authors that you can trust can really only be found in a newspaper.
 
Well, if that is what he thinks, then maybe he should not have his book available on Amazon.com and use a blog on Amazon to boot.
 
Time for my second cup of Coffee 1.3.