09 December 2005

depths of winter

Well, it got fucking cold (for Houston) here last night - it was 26F out here in Stepford at 2:30 AM when the pups and I got up for a wee-wee. Now, that's pretty damned cold for here. SHG beat me to it, but it's amazing how you get used to the warmth down here (I have been in TX almost 9 yrs, 3 in Dallas and nearly 6 in Houston). In Dallas it got this cold much more often and there were ice storms, which I kind of miss: I worked for Mobil and they basically told us to go home early at the threat of ice or snow, or told us to stay home if it developed overnight. I missed the White Christmas they had in Houston last year, boo! (that link is not my house, BTW, just what comes up first on google).
 
Anyway, we're soon to exit the depths of our early winter tomorrow, yay! Of course the NE is apparently getting spanked with snow again today. I remember the winter of 1994 or 1995 when I was still in grad school in NJ, and it was something like 13 snowstorms in 15 weeks, and right where I lived was the greatest snowfall in the big big blizzard, 39"! Now THAT sucked. I should dig out some of those photos and scan them...