18 March 2006

marrying trees is the least of their worries

OK, St. Patrick's Day is over, I did my 50%-Irish duty in Paris at an Irish pub near the Sorbonne (sorry, no riots last night, the students were too busy drinking) with some work friends. The vast majority fo people there were 10 years my junior, at least and the place was packed packed packed. I really got that "I'm too old for thsi crap" feeling. We had come from our annual department dinner, and I was a touch grumpy since there was lots of French being spoken so quickly I did not follow so I did the whole smile-and-laugh thing. Anyway, while being shoved and jostled by (admittedly good looking) guys showing off for their skinny-bitch whiny girlfriends, I wondered "I wonder how the St. Patrick's Day Parade was in NYC, was there yet another gay-burp in the planning?"

Well I got my answer this morning:

The man in charge of Manhattan's St. Patrick's Day parade has fueled a controversy by saying allowing a gay group to join Friday's march would be like permitting neo-Nazis to participate in an Israeli parade.

...

"If an Israeli group wants to march in New York, do you allow neo-Nazis into their parade? If African-Americans are marching in Harlem, do they have to let the Ku Klux Klan into their parade?" Dunleavy was quoted as saying.

Oh please. Let me see...what an idiot. Of course, I may be wrong, but if I am not mistaken the gay community is not set with its charter as the systematic destruction of the Catholic Church...or Christianity. We just want to marry trees. C'mon, not vulnerable saplings, only big, strong, beefy, woody, ones. Please?