23 February 2009

Blah

Well, it has been a long time since I have posted here. I have been in NJ for the last two weeks getting my parents ready to move to assisted living, and moving them in. It was really hard. Ever try to pack the belongings of somebody with Alzheimer's? More fun than gouging my eyes out, at least. They are not happy to be in assisted living, but it is the best thing for them. Without going into the gory details, it had to happen. At this point I have probably toured like 20 facilities, and they are not all the same. I picked the one I did based on the amenities, and the schedule they could work with us on. It is nice and the food is good (though my parents complain that it is awful, of course it is not going to be like home cooking).

My dad is bored to death, he is used to having places to putter around all day, like the basement, doing laundry, and such. It is a tough adjustment for him with the Alzheimer's. My mom is doing what she normally does, which is sit around or sleep. At least they were not in bad mood when I left yesterday morning. I have to call them tonight after their phone is hooked up. We'll see what kind of mood they are in then.